Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Test of Time


As you can see by my crazy calendar, I've really been marking down the days till Casey's graduation. It feels bittersweet to do so. On the one hand, it means I'm getting closer to the day I get to see him again. But on the other hand, it means I've gone a long time without him. As of tomorrow, it will be 40 days without Casey.

I'm really grateful for all the support I've received from my family and friends. You are all a huge blessing to me. I'm glad God has put each and every one of you in my life!

Honestly though, I think my dogs are my biggest comfort. For one, they always know when I'm upset, and they instantly comfort me with doggie-kisses. I can't cry around Hammie without him coming over to check on me. It's very weird how perceptive they are! Second, they are going through just as much Casey-withdrawal as me.

And the other big reason is: they don't talk. Now this might sound like a strange comment, but let me explain. People, no matter how sincere, say stupid things. I usually brush off peoples advice as "good-natured", but that doesn't mean that it's not insensitive. Much like telling a pregnant woman she looks huge, it is not okay to say things like, "You seem to be doing fine without him" or "Wow, time really has flown by". Why? Because it's a lie! As good as I "seem" to be doing, does not mean that I don't have VERY rough days. And when you live alone, time does NOT pass quickly...it crawls. Hence, why my dogs take presidency over everyone else!!

Sorry, I finished my "mini-rant"...on to other news.

Casey continues to be doing good. His TI's have started to take notice of him more...not in a bad way, but in a he-does-things-better-than-others way. As much as he'd like to be a "fly on the wall", his other bunk-mates rely on him to much. He continues to improve in his physical training too. He's told me that the work isn't getting easier, but that he is getting better. If you can't tell, I'm super proud of him!

We have 2 1/2 weeks to go until he's done with basic. Starting Monday is B.E.A.S.T. week (Basic Expeditionary Airmen Skills Training). From all that I've heard and read, this is the favored week of most Airmen. Their group is required to set up a base, and run it all on their own...along with other field exercises. Casey has been looking forward to it ever since he enlisted!

Please continue to pray for both of us. God is truly working wonders in both of our lives, and we can't wait to see where he leads us!

No comments: