Thursday, August 5, 2010

After my last very long (and pathetic) post, I wanted to write about something better. Something that makes me happy! The last few days have been considerably better...in part to Casey being home and not on base, and also because of all the work we are getting done before he leaves.

It's allowed me to look optimistically at the future. I have a ton of projects I want to get done around the house, and now have the financial means to do so. While Casey is gone, I plan on filling my time with re-vamping the home. I also have been looking into art classes. My sister has shown an interest in joining me, and I can't wait to get started. Pottery, oil painting, and faux finishes are hopefully in my near future. AND scrap booking, I have some major picture piles to get through, and a great mother-in-law to scrap with!

If you know me well, you'll know that I crave projects...in fact, that's how my Mom and I pass our summer days. We work on everything from the yard, to remodeling, to making enough banana bread to last all winter! So it goes without saying that any task to keep my hands busy, will make me happy...no matter how hot it gets out!

One of my greatest joys in the summer is working in the yard. I'm not one of those wimpy girls that hates to sweat or get dirty. It's worth it! And although my yard is nowhere near completion, I still take joy in the little things. The following are a bunch of pictures from my work-in-project yard :)



NO! We didn't get kittens. These are just two of the thousands of stray cats around our house. Thankfully I spied them before I opened the door to let Hammie out. They were so cute playing around on the lounger!


This planter is my PRIDE and JOY this summer. It's filled with different varieties of sweet potato vines and a spike. I bought them all on clearance at the farmers market back in May and they looked pretty pathetic. The vines were only about two inches long, and looked like they were on their last leg.
Now the vines are closer to two and a half feet long! Goes to show what a little TLC can accomplish! Oh and side note, the pave stones in the back were an even better bargain. My mother-in-law gave them to me for FREE! Score!! I just need to buy a few more to have a winding path out to my mulberry tree!


This wind chime was a Christmas gift from my Momma, Casey and I finally got it hung this year.

Every year I have slowly been adding plants to my garden. This year I added a few hostas, a coleus, and a fern. The froggy was another gift from my Mom. I'm usually not into lawn ornaments, but this one was too cute! I'm hoping my hostas grow huge and my little frog will be peeking out through the leaves.

This year my irises were insane. I've never seen so many blooms! I wish I had a picture to show of all of them. They were perfect cut flowers! I didn't do much to them this year, except let them loose, and add a bird bath! Casey's parents gave us this awesome bath for an Anniversary gift...I love it!!

My rose-a-sharron is still putting out some pretty blooms. I've had to keep an eye on it this year though, the ants have been crawling all over it...YUCK!

The only other "pest" we've noticed in the yard this year are cicada bugs. They must be drawn to my mulberry tree, because I've found 19 shells clinging to its trunk. I also suspect them of tampering with wy coleus plants, hopefully they don't do any long term damage.

All of that said, I have a long way to go. I plan on doubling my number of planters next year, and maybe even putting in some plants out front. All things to look forward to!!

No comments: