Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Emergency Room Drama

Before Anyone gets all worried...I'm fine!

But since it's been so long since my last post, I figured I should fill you in on the recent happenings in my life.  So here goes:

I've been having chest pain the last few days.  I know: Red Flag!  I probably should have gone to the emergency room right away, but a) I'm only 24 for crying out loud, I'm not having a heart attack b) my pulse was fine and c) I wasn't going to get myself all worked up for nothing.

So I put it off for a few days, keeping a close eye on myself, and trying to rest.  Finally last night I decided I would call my Dr. in the morning, and go in for a simple check up.  I figured it was just indigestion, but I wanted to be certain. Well, that didn't happen.  As soon as I told the receptionist my problem...she yelled at me...scoffed me...and told me to go straight to the emergency room (Honestly, I know she was just doing her job, but WOW could she have been nicer)!

For some reason, being yelled at over the phone for trying to do the "right thing" (I WAS trying to take care of it, after all!), only made me more stressed out.  I started freaking.  I mean major-anxiety-attack kind of freaking ...which soon lead to tears.  I was all alone, with no Casey to turn to, and I was afraid to go to the emergency room on my own.

Luckily, I have a Dad who is always there for me!!  As soon as I called and told him what was up (through tears, I might add), he rushed over to take me.  Yay, Daddy!!  I can't tell you how much of a relief he was.  He stayed calm the whole time (we both knew nothing BIG was wrong with me), and kept my mind preoccupied from freaking further.

I was rushed through my check-in by 3 nurses (seriously 3...they must have been having a slow day), then got hooked up to a blood pressure machine...and all the other do-dads they could dig up.  I met with at least 10 different people, doing random checks.  Had an EKG test and Chest X-ray.  Got asked a ton of personal questions...over and over again (NO, I am NOT pregnant...for the 3rd time). Then got sent home.  No needles thankfully!!

Long story short, they believe I have Pleurisy.  A big fancy word for inflammation in the lungs or chest lining.  I most likely got this after having a MAJOR bought of allergies, which lead to constant sneezing.  It's pretty much like spraining an ankle, but in your chest.  There isn't much they can do for me (cause I can't really stop breathing, to give my lungs a rest) except tell me to take Advil...swell! 

So that's what I've been doing.  I know it could have turned out a LOT worse, so I'm grateful for that.  But the whole experience was too stressful...and too dramatic to care for.  I didn't realize a situation like this would be SO hard to handle.  Mainly because Casey wasn't here to consult.  I sometimes forget (given the situation) how completely dependent on him I can be.  I forget how much I need him.  Today was definitely one of those days.

And in case your wondering, Casey knows all about my situation now.  I sent him a text as soon as I got home.  He doesn't freak out (that's my job), so as soon as I told him I was fine, he was fine!  In fact, he thought it would be fun to tease everyone and tell them I got diagnosed with Pleurisy...and not say anything more!  Just to play with everyone's minds.  Jerk!!

So I've already made a follow up appointment with my Dr. for Friday, and hopefully she will be able to give me a clean bill of health.  It will be a welcomed relief!

No comments: