Monday, November 15, 2010

Momma and Me

Every once in a while I need "Mom" time. Just a day spent hanging out with my Momma, doing nothing in particular. These days are sometimes hard to come by, since she works during the week, and usually has the kiddos on the weekend. So if I can find a day that's kid-free with her, I try to take it!

This last Saturday was one of those days. We decided to hit up the local antique store near them, and peruse the isles. Now this antique mall holds some significant value to us. It hadn't always been an antique mall, in fact, it used to be a bowling alley and indoor put-put golf course. As a kid, my parents would take us there on special occasions. Many a birthday party were spent within those walls!

Eventually the bowling went out, and the antiques came in...and I still love going there! Whenever Casey and I had nothing better to do on the weekend, we would hit up the antique mall (that's the actually name on the building, nothing fancy there!), and wonder around aimlessly for hours. I loved all the old furniture and decor...and Casey loved all the record albums and swords! We once even found a full size plaster version of the plant form Little Shop of Horrors (you know, the "FEED ME, Semore" Venus-fly-trap)! Oh, how I wanted to buy that, just to say I did! Alas, it was too expensive!

Mom is much like me in her interests. She loves the "worn in" look, especially if it's something unique. So whenever we go together, it's a battle of wills to not pick up everything we see, and buy it! Like the old fashion wooden game boards that would look so great in Mom's basement. The distressed cabinet that would make a beautiful hutch in my dinning room. The old fashioned Santa Clause with his hot air balloon ride. Or the gorgeous game table that both of us drooled over! Thankfully for us, the price tag is usually too steep for our budget ($500 for that table...boo!), so no harm in going wild with the purchases!

We did find one great buy, an old (slightly rusty) Christmas tree topper. It was in amongst a table top display, and Mom couldn't pass it up. It's covered with stars, and any other description I give of it will only confuse you more...so I'll try to take a picture of it the next time I'm over there!

Although I didn't buy anything this go-round, I never feel like I leave empty handed. I always walk away with a decorating idea...something that I can do on my own! So if you have nothing to do this next weekend, my recommendation is to hit up your local antique mall!

No comments: