Saturday, November 6, 2010

How to Throw a Thrifty Halloween Party

When I started planning my Halloween Bash, I knew one thing for certain: I did NOT want to spend a ton of money! I love decorating my house, but Halloween is not worth spending the BIG bucks to have it all decked-out (Christmas is a totally different story! You'll understand what I mean come December!). So I hit the web in search of cheap and easy craft decorating ideas.

The first one I came across were "monster cupcakes". Let me start off by saying I am no good at decorating cupcakes...but I still think they turned out cute (especially the eyeballs)! They didn't cost much. I had everything to make the frosting, and only had to buy the cupcake mix and muffin tins.
The next cheap way to save money: "Shopping" at my parents house! Seriously, my Mom has a ton of Halloween decor...not to mention BAGS upon BAGS of spider webbing. I draped it everywhere in my house. It was the easiest way to make the house look festive. The only thing I had to buy to complete the look was a bag off spider rings ($2 for 100)!


I even covered the table with spider webs and fake leaves provided by my MOM again!


This next idea I got from marthastewart.com They had these really cute bats flying across the front door of a home. I really liked the idea, but didn't want to decorate the outside of my house. So I printed off the template, and dragged out all my black scrap paper...and cut and cut and cut. 41 bats later, and I was finished!

The next step for me was to buy some small magnets (about $6). and hot glue one onto the back of each bat. I connected it with another magnet on the back side of my sheers, and let them "fly" around my curtains...

I also put some on the back door in my kitchen, just to tie it all together!
Another cheap way to save money...know the right people! My mother-in-law works at a scrap booking store, and her co-worker (Marilyn) has the new LARGE cricket cutter AND some Halloween cartridges! WAHOO!!! I cut out a ton! And only spent about $1.50 on paper!


This tree was one of my favorites! I've been wanting to do a Halloween tree for quite a few years. Since I had all the "cut-outs" to hang on it, all I really needed was some black spray paint. It was the easiest project ever! All I had to do was cut a limb from my yard (not a problem since I have SO many trees), strip off all the leaves, paint it, and anchor it in a box that would fit inside my pot! That's it!!!

Colton even helped me decorate it! What a good kid!

These are a few more cut-outs I made from Marilyn's cricket...Oh, and the antique bowls are real ones, thanks again to my Mom!


This was the last project I did. Again, I found this template on marthastewart.com. When you walked by the back stairs, this shadow would walk with you!! It was Colton's favorite...he was NOT happy when I took it down after Halloween! I did have to buy extra black paper for this, but it was worth it...and I'll be able to use it again next year!


All together, I think I spent about $20 on decorations this year...not a bad deal!

No comments: