Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Music that Binds Us

I've stated it before on this blog how hard it's been for me to listen to music since Casey left.  Every time I tried turning on the radio, I would end up in a puddle of tears.  And with the exception of Christmas music over the holidays, I  haven't listened to that much.  This is REALLY sad.  I used to LOVE music.  And I still do, I just don't listen to it anymore :(

Well enough is enough.  I'm gonna get myself out of this funk. STARTING NOW!!

Last night I hatched a plan to beat my music-blues ( get it? see what I did right their!!) into shape.  So I text my husband and asked him what "our songs" were.  We had a good volley back and forth of some of our favorites over the years, and ended up with a nice list.  So today until Valentine's Day (maybe even longer), I'm gonna share with you some of "our songs".  

 Our First Song:

Every couple has a first song.  It's a right of passage.  Unfortunately for Casey and I, we were young and picked our song a little to hastily.  That's right, we got landed with the mother of all cliche love songs from the 90's...

I kinda cringe even writing it...Aerosmith's "I don't wanna miss a thing"



I know...how sad are we!  But the deed is done, and we're stuck with it.  Don't get me wrong I love Aerosmith.  I grew up dancing to "Janie's got a gun" with my Dad on Sunday mornings, while my Mom got ready for church ( I realize the twisted irony)...but for some reason this song became a HUGE hit with couples around the world...and got played to death on all the radio stations.

So why did we pick it?  Well for one thing, it was one of the first loves songs we ever danced to (my husband used to hate dancing back then...and still kinda does).  Two, it was the first song Casey ever sang to me...while doing said dancing.  Which made it the first song I ever laughed at him for singing (I married a drummer, not a singer)...and consequently, the last song he has ever REALLY sung to me (he does a great impression of 80's hair band singing!!).  Serves me right for laughing :(

But all isn't lost, we have improved our music picking skills since then.  

Our Wedding Song:

When it came time for Casey and I to pick a wedding dance song, we tried are hardest not to pick something that everyone else would pick.  We listened to ALL of our CD's, and wracked our brains until Casey pulled out this song:

Lifehouse's "You and Me"


It ended up winning me over, and I still love it to this day.  Every time I hear it, I think of Case, and when it comes to a song that defines us the most...this one rules all others.  Casey even has it as his ring-back tone for me...AWWW!

So there ya have it.  I'll be pulling out some other play-list-worthy-songs-from-our-past for your listening pleasure through out the next few days.

No comments: