Thursday, February 3, 2011

Assassin or Samaritan???

So I hadn't really planned on blogging about the weather. If you live in Kansas you already know how bad it is out there...and if you don't you probably watch the news enough to figure it out. I didn't want to add to the plethora of posts dedicated to telling you how "insanely cold" it was outside (especially since my goal is to stand out as a blogger...not follow the trends). And lets be honest, who really cares about other peoples views on "the crazy snow drifts".

Truth be told, the last few days I've hunkered down in my house, and the closest I've gotten to the outside world, is opening the back door to let my dogs do their business. But the plan was to get out today and shovel the driveway. All 800 sq. ft. (approx.) of it. I'd already done it twice before this last month, and knew tomorrow's sunny weather would be the best time.

Well, that was the plan anyway...until it got done for me! But let me take you back to last night, and what went down.

Since church was canceled last night, I made a date with myself, more accurately a girls-night (I'll try to post on that later). After taking a glorious long bath and painting my toe nails, I was getting ready to cook dinner in my jammies and hunker down to a chic flick. Thats when I started hearing it.

A scraping noise, coming from outside. I quickly registered it as shoveling, and figured my neighbors were doing a last min. tackle on their front walk. But it was too loud to be my neighbors (I know my walls are thin, but they aren't THAT thin!). So I started peaking around. That's when I saw him. THERE WAS A MAN IN MY DRIVEWAY...AND HE WAS SHOVELING IT CLEAN!!

Needless to say I flipped out. Peering out from behind my curtains, I thought of every possible scenario. Maybe it was some good Samaritan...or maybe they were digging out my drive to steal my car...or perhaps one of my neighbors was testing out their new snow shovel...any wild thought that could come to mind, did. Including, should I go get the baseball bat, and I'm gonna call the cops! That's when I spotted the "possible assassin/good Samaritan's" car.

It looked an awful lot like my father-in-laws truck...but I still wasn't convinced. I ran to my phone, dialed his #, and the first words out of my mouth were: "Lawrence, are you in my driveway?"
Long story short...Yep he was. At which point I proceeded to chew him out for scaring me half to death (you don't pull stuff like that on a girl who lives alone...especially not in the dark!).

He figured if he called, I would tell him not to worry about it...which is true. So he came up with the "brilliant" idea to sneak over and do it as a surprise. I don't think he factored in how loud shoveling a drive way is! But it certainly WAS a surprise! And he definitely was dedicated in it...I didn't want to shovel it in the sun yesterday...let alone doing it in the dark...CRAZY!!

But regardless of how crazy a night it turned out to be, I am really grateful for his thoughtfulness. It was very very considerate!! But fair warning to anyone else who ever wants to help me...CALL FIRST, or be prepared for one-splitting-headache from my bat!!!

No comments: