Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to the Paintings

Sorry if you've been waiting the last few days for more posts on my painting projects. I haven't forgotten about them, just took a small hiatus.

But I'm back now, and today's post is all about my Mother-in-laws painting. Just like Meagan's painting, I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do for Jacque. She has a thing for grapes, and originally I was going to make a three section painting for her. But since I didn't have enough wood, I settled on a large single painting. Here it was in concept form:


Jacque's was actually the first painting I did, so it was my "tester" painting. I was so nervous to get started, knowing that I would make a mistake. But once I did start, it all fell into place easily! Unlike the other three paintings, I didn't add any thickening medium to this one. So it has more of a faux finish look. Once I got the background down, I started on the branches:

Then came All the grapes. I kept adding layer upon layer of varying colors, until I was happy with the mix. I also shadowed some of the grapes to give it more of a dimensional look. The last thing I did was add a thin layer of glaze, to give it more shine:

So here it is, concept - finished product:


And here was Jacque on Christmas after she opened it!


Needless to say she loved it, and had it hung up by the next day!

I'll try to get my last painting post up in the next few days...so keep an eye out for it!

No comments: