Saturday, January 29, 2011

Color My World

Today's post is all about color, (if you didn't guess that from the title already)! Before I get down to business, I have another crap-tastic picture of old to share with you...
It's not nearly as bad as the other rendering I showed you a few posts back, but still has some crazy-bad problems. Check out how HUGE I made all those bricks (not to mention the AWFUL color!). And don't even get me started on the importance of shading.

In fact, the only good thing about this drawing is the center tree, and it kinda steals the show (cause your eye is instantly drawn to it), which is a no-no when you're trying to showcase a house :(

Anyway, it goes without saying that I've tried to improve my coloring habits in the last 10 years! Like my last post, I've pinpointed some of the huge changes I've made:

Click on the picture to see a larger view

1. Highlights: Colored pencils can be your best friend...ESPECIALLY white. I use my white colored pencils on practically every part of a rendering. It's perfect for defining the edges of the house, and showing detail in the foliage.

2. Shading: I try to always layer my colors, because no object is ever just one color. There is shading and gradations in everything. So when I approach my roofs, it's not uncommon for me to throw in a small splash of purple or blue to add character. Don't be afraid to use color, but always make sure your color choices can blend smoothly together.

3. Reflections: Okay pretty obvious here. What does glass do? Reflect!! It's my final touch to all of my renderings. That punch of black in the glass and the background pulls everything together, and makes the rendering come alive!! Without it, the whole project would seem dull and light.

4. More reflections: Notice how the concrete picks up some of the blue from the sky! Also look how it reflects back part of the house. At first glance these little details aren't noticed, which means the whole rendering looks cohesive...YEAH!! That's when I know I've done my job right...when you have to REALLY study the drawing!

5. Diffusing: You wanna know the biggest difference between these two renderings. It's the steady diffusion of color. Unlike my earlier work, I realized that if I put my deepest, boldest colors towards the center of the rendering (mainly the house and immediate surround) that your eye is instantly drawn to those areas. This is why the trees in the background are darker next to the house than they are at the edge of the page! Same concept applies to the driveway and landscape. The point is to always draw the eye back towards the house.

Well that's it for now, I'll try to add in some other pointers along the way...and maybe even give you a preview of the materials I use.

Oh, and I know some of you have probably been wondering what's up with Casey these days, I'll try to work on a post soon to get you all caught up!

1 comment:

Sarah :) said...

I'm SO impressed with all of your artistic talents, Angie. Even your "craptastic" drawings are leaps and bounds ahead of anything I could do! :)