Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Scrabble Champion!!!



This year I actually made a New Years Resolution. I know, I know, no one ever reaches those goals! But unlike resolving to loose weight, or drop 3 pant sizes, I wanted to actually enjoy my goal achieving process.

So this year I resolved...DRUM ROLL PLEASE...




...to beat my Mom at Scrabble!

Laugh all you want, it's a hard goal. My Mom is the QUEEN of Scrabble...I mean Supreme Ruler. She's turned Scrabble into a mammoth competition! This is a women who not only owns the official Scrabble Dictionary (We're on to the 2nd generation...the first one got torn up from constant use!), she has all the 2 letter words memorized...not to mention most of the "Q" and "Z" words too. It's not uncommon for her to get 50-60 points per round, or for that matter, to play all 7 chips (which gets you an extra 50 points...I bet you never knew that...'cause you've never played my Mom!). It doesn't help that she's a teacher either, and thus surrounded by vocabulary words!

So I knew this would be a huge undertaking. I have NEVER beaten her before, and trying it would be even harder (Side Note: Dad and I usually don't even try to win! We just try for 2nd place!). The hardest part about playing my Mom though, is trying to not set her up. She is the best at finding a way to play on the ever-awesome "triple word scores"...and if she can't play on them... she'll make darn sure you can't!! Talk about some tough competition!

So this last weekend I went over there to try my hand. Let it be known I had no intention of winning this early in the year...but fate was on my side! That's right...I actually BEAT her!! Hallelujah!!

That being said, I'm sure it was all a fluke. 'Cause I was getting some REALLY AWESOME words, and to make things even better, Dad and I kept blocking every place Mom wanted to play. Heck, we even blocked her from playing a 7 letter word...OH YEAH!!!

So I've already accomplished my New Years Resolution! How awesome am I!?! Needless to say, the next time I play my Mom, I'm bound to loose...the woman doesn't take loosing lightly, and she's bound to up the competition level!!

No comments: