Friday, April 22, 2011

N'awlins

For all of us non-Southerners...that's New Orleans.  


Since Biloxi is only about an hours drive from the "Big Easy", we decided to take a day trip to see some of the sights.  Admittedly, we had no idea where we were going, or what there really was to see.  We wanted to go to the French Quarters, see the famous above ground cemeteries, and maybe do a plantation tour...but didn't really have an itinerary for the day.

I will tell you this, if you ever visit the French Quarters...NEVER, and I mean NEVER go anywhere near Mardi Gras.  You will regret it.  We went at the end of March...which was about 20 days after Fat Tuesday (aka Mardi Gras)...and it was still packed (at least around the main square).


Not only that, but it smelled (Hence Casey's stinky-face picture...not really he was just being a goof!).  I'm serious though, it reeked of vomit, pee, booze, and Lord only knows what else.  The sidewalks were all slippery from constantly being hosed down, and it gave the whole place a feel of uncleanliness.


That being said, I cringe whenever I'm in a dirty place...so the whole experience was not so bueno.  I felt like if I sat in the wrong place I'd catch an STD...ewwww.  And I wore flip flops...out of all the icky, rotten luck.  So I can't really say I enjoyed the whole trip.

But, before you discredit this post all together, I will tell you it wasn't all that bad.  We found the most amazing candy shop.  Which boasted the best pralines in town, but I was more interested in their homemade peanut butter cups...YUM!!

... and a really yummy open air restaurant.  Here's Casey eating his Muffelata...and a picture of my AMAZING red beans and rice!








...We also visited the local Cathedral with it's nice garden square, surrounded by local artists showing off their wares.  




So we strolled around town, saw some interesting sights, and some not-so-nice sights (Bourbon Street boasts plenty of nude-y club pictures...'nough said).  And after a few hours of wondering, we decided we'd seen enough.  





Some beads left over from Mardi Gras:




Any other day, and I might have been up for more, but Saturday was my last full day with Casey...and I wasn't really interested in spending that time with him as tourists.   So we headed back to base, and made the most of our time together.  

It was still a good day trip...just not the best timing.

No comments: