Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Sew" Happy

...and the pun's just keep on coming!

In case you haven't been keeping tabs on me, I posted a while back about trying my hand at curtain making.  Since I made two pillows (pretty successfully), I wanted to take it up a notch for my next sewing project.  

So my first task was to make curtains for my sister's kitchen.  Since "the mom's" are both excellent teachers when it comes to sewing; I asked Jacque (Casey's Mom) to walk me through the whole process.  I wasn't quite sure how to line curtains, and she did a great job of helping me.


 Sorry about the bad lighting...

These next one's are my favorites:

**Insert Micheal Jackson Reference** I always feel like...

...somebody's watchin' me...

...oh-OH-oh

HAHA!! 

Anyways...I finished up Meg's curtains, got them hung up, and she LOVES them...YAY!

So my next task was to do some of the same curtains for my bedroom.  I'll tell you now, it about killed me.  I wanted 8 1/2 foot long curtains (so they would pool a little on the ground), but I never realized how hard it would be to make...otherwise I would have enlisted help.

The time and effort it took to lay out the curtains, iron them, pin them, press them, re-press them, and sew them was crazy (7 hours in case your wondering).  And most of that time was spent crawling around on the floor, making sure everything was straight, flat, and even (ouch!!).  

But it was well worth it, and I had some gorgeous curtains to show for it.  


Again, sorry about the bad lighting...

I hung them high and wide on the windows.  And I found a really great deal on the curtain rod ($20 for a 10 footer at Hobby Lobby...score!).

In case you're wondering about the top, I ended up sewing a stiff liner in it (to get them to hang that way), and then hung them from tabs on the back (by far the most difficult part)


I can't really complain though, they turned out great.  And they really help lighten up the bedroom.  I have more plans for our room this summer, but for now I'm happy with my small handmade updates!!