Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Purging

I take my Spring cleaning seriously.  In this house, it's a must.  But more to the point, I love it!!!  Especially when all is said and done, and the house is sparkling.  But there is more to Spring cleaning than vacuuming and dusting.  There is also quite a bit of purging too.

You see, I've never been extremely nostalgic about holding on to useless junk.  I love family heirlooms, grade-school art, and the general sentimental stuff... but when it comes to extra junk, I usually get rid of it.

You won't find old clothes that don't fit in my closet (even if I'm hoping they eventually will), and you won't find extra decorations in storage either.  I don't have extra picture frames sitting around.  And the closest I come to collecting is a stash of mason jars I use for flower vases in the summer.

More to the point, I hate hoarding.  I can't stand disorder.  And I refuse to leave a load of pointless junk behind for my loved ones to sift through when I die (not that I plan on dieing any time soon!).  Ironically, I think my mom is the exact opposite, I'm constantly asking her why she holds on to all her nick-knacks.

So yesterday, I sat down and started going through stuff.  I started out in the bedroom; reorganizing the dresser and closet, and getting rid of old clothes along the way.  I discovered my husband had at least 15 old work shirts from his previous job, and  7 pairs of jeans (all with holes in them)...yes, he's a hoarder in my opinion.  So I pulled all his old clothes out too, and have a pile for him to go through when he gets home in May!!

After the bedroom, I headed upstairs to the office.  It's a mess right now cause we're in the process of building new bookshelves up there.  So everything has been relocated to the floor (cue me pulling my hair out).

But after some major purging, I finally got my work station in order:

 Now all my pens, paper, and supplies are within easy reach, but still organized!!!

My next project upstairs is to tackle this mess (I can't believe I'm showing you this...it goes against the grain):

I'm putting the finishing touches on the bookshelves tomorrow, so hopefully this pile won't be here much longer.  But no worrries, I have myself a little helper:

 Ain't she cute...and in desperate need of a hair cut (another thing on my Spring cleaning list)!

And in case you are wondering, I do hold on to some things.  Like these two books (one is actually a coloring book that used to belong to Casey's grandmother):


They're filled with all these really graphic and cool old time prints.  Here are a few of my favorites:

       
 I'm planning on hanging some of the floor plan prints in the office.  And as for the posters,  I think I found a great place for them in the bathroom:


 I just need to have them all framed, and sealed really really well, so no moisture gets in.

So there you have it.  A day in the life of me.  Plan on more updates on other Spring cleaning projects from around my house...and most likely my Sister's house...and my Mom's house!  

And while we're on the subject of Spring cleaning, what do you do around your house to freshen things up?
 

No comments: