Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Meagan's Painting

For anyone who missed my post yesterday, I announced a new hobby of mine: PAINTING! I love it, it's so rejuvenating and relaxing! Who needs a therapist when you can paint!

So you might be wondering where I got this crazy idea to be all artsy (or maybe NOT, if you know me well!). It all started before Thanksgiving, in an attempt to :
1. Fill the boredom of my day
2. Be creative
3. Be frugal (NOT cheap) in my Christmas gift giving

So today's post is all about my sister Meagan's painting. Here it is all ready to go. I had scrap wood in the basement (previously a wooden floor mat for my desk!), and I cut it in 2 to make both Kellie and Meagan's paintings! How thrifty am I (again, NOT cheap!)?
After the wood was sealed with Kilz, I set about hashing out the branch design. Unlike Mom's painting, I had a fairly good idea of what I wanted Meagan's painting to look like. I had sketched out a design years ago (not knowing at the time that it would eventually be made!).
But before the branch could go down, I needed to put in the background. I loved the streaky-look the Kilz made on Meagan's painting, and didn't want to cover it up completely. So I added a thickening medium (you can find it at any craft store) to the paint, and spread it on with a painting knife. This is how it turned out:
Once the background was dry, I added the branch:
After the branch, came the berries (sorry I forgot to take a picture of that layer), followed by shading, roughening the edges with more color, and a thin layer of glaze. The glaze really does make the painting, it adds a really subtle shimmering affect!
And voila! Finished Painting!
And look, it even matched Meagan's outfit when she opened it on Christmas!
Oh, and Meagan's already "commissioned" me to do a few more paintings for her house too! Talk about a sweet gig, I'm gonna get paid to play!!

No comments: