Friday, December 3, 2010

Our 2010 Christmas Letter

Merry Christmas to all our family, friends, and loved ones!

"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.”

2 Samuel 22:33

What a beautiful passage, and so fitting for the last year of our lives. 2010 brought about many changes for both Casey and me. Changes that will forever affect the rest of our lives: scary changes, big changes, and good changes.

When we started out this last year, Casey and I had been seeking out God’s guidance. We had been praying for direction (specifically concerning a career path for Casey), and we knew that whatever He put before us, we would follow. At the time I had been hoping for a simple desk job, 9-5, kind of career. But the beautiful thing about God is, he never settles for simple. He had a greater plan for us.

I can’t tell you the exact day, or the first sign that God gave us about the military. As much as I said I wanted to follow Him, I didn’t want to believe that the Air Force was God’s plan. I convinced myself that God would never want us to take that path; that surely, He had something else. But God was patient with us; He helped coax us into this new vision of a future. And over time, He convinced us of His love and guiding hand.

So in May, just a few weeks before our 5 year anniversary, Casey enlisted with the Kansas Air National Guard. All I can say is, WOW, I didn’t see that coming! It was an extremely special and exciting day for Casey…and a scary, scary day for me. But it was also a day of relief and joy, knowing that we were following the path God set before us.

The next few months were spent preparing ourselves mentally (me) and physically (Casey) for Casey’s Basic Training, starting mid August. I spent many a night crying myself to sleep, not sure how the future would pan out, or what life would look like. For those who know Casey and I best, you will know how “attached at the hip” (as my friend, Sarah, put it) Casey and I are. The thought of being separated was extremely terrifying to me. We were told to not expect many phone calls with each other, and that really our only means of communications would be letters. And that it would last until mid Oct. Scary.

But there were plenty of things to look forward to before August. For one thing, we helped welcome our second nephew into the world on July 26th. Maddox Rylan Cheek. The cutest, chubbiest, little monster in the world! His big brother Colton couldn’t be happier, nor could Mommy and Daddy! There were also birthdays and anniversaries to celebrate, along with spending as much down time as possible with each other. All these things helped cart us through the next few months, into August.

I won’t go into detail about how hard it was saying goodbye to Casey…I’m sure you could imagine. Let it just be known that thanks to God, my loving family, and friends, I was able to carry myself through to October. And Casey was able to rise to all the challenges set before him at Basic!

We were finally able to see each other again on October 14th, one of the happiest days of my life! And although we only got to spend 4 days together, it was pure joy.

From Basic, Casey shipped off to Tech. School in Biloxi, MS. He’ll be stationed there well into next year, but we have things to be grateful for in the mean time. For one, we can talk and Skype with each other every day. Second, he’ll be home for Christmas…the best Christmas gift I could ever receive! And third, I’ll be able to visit him down there every few months.

As for me, I’ve made an effort to keep myself busy during Casey’s absence. I’m involved in 2 Bible Studies, a Wed. night class at my church (where I am by far the youngest one there!), and I now watch my nephews a couple hours ever week! I keep myself very, very busy. My hobbies have multiplied in Casey’s absence, and it’s enough to keep me occupied and happy! Add to that two very needy dogs, and you’ll get an idea of how my time is spent!

The most beautiful thing about this whole last year is God’s unfailing guidance and love. We truly take joy in God’s word from Genesis 2:24.

“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”

Even absent physically from one another, we still feel each other’s presence because of God’s company in our lives. What a joy in Jesus! It is this reassurance that will help carry us through the next year, and the future beyond!

I pray that your last year was one of joy too! Wishing the best for you and your loved ones this Christmas season! And remembering that a Savior was born!

Angie

No comments: